Your transformation from the current you to a new and improved you, requires to embark in a self-improvement journey. Self-improvement requires a commitment to those areas that require a change so you can achieve your goals.
What is self-improvement? In simple terms, it is an inner process, aiming for a better and joyful life. It is a process of inner change, adopting a positive mindset, getting rid of negative habits, and building new, positive ones.
Here are ten tips for a new you and a renewed mental attitude:
1. Get off to a good start – the first hour of the day sets the tone for the day. Take 30 minutes each morning to sit quietly and to reflect on your goals. Also, take 30 minutes each morning for professional development; read books and articles in your profession that will help you advance in your career.
2. Think positive – you become what you think about the most. And the most important part of each day is what you think about at the beginning of that day. When you think positively you bring out your very best. It will reduce the negative self-talk that we sometimes find ourselves involved in.
3. Take Control of Your Thoughts – your mind is your greatest asset. It is important for you to control your thoughts if you want to control your life. A healthy mind when unleashed will accomplished more than you imagine. A healthy mind can overcome physical, social, environmental and financial “limitations”. Our mind is what we all have in common, how we use it is what separates the successful people from the rest.
4. Ask yourself empowering questions – questions like “What did I do right?” and “What would I do differently?”, instead of “Why me?” and “What sucks about this?”, will lead you to find answers that will get you closer to your goals.
5. Show gratitude – what would happen if instead of waking up complaining, you opened your eyes and gave thanks for your life. Just that little shift in your attitude from complaining to gratitude can make you more aware of the pleasures in your life and all the blessings that surround you. Gratitude is an amazing gift that you have right at your fingertips. Use it and watch your world grow.
6. Change your self-image – “The person we believe ourselves to be will always act in a manner consistent with our self-image.” Brian Tracy. If you want to transform yourself, you must let go of your old self-image. Also, your mind needs proof that you are this new person. You need to constantly re-affirm your mind your new self-image. If you want to be a winner, you must see yourself as one and act and think like one.
7. Set clear goals and write them down –you need to always be looking forward in your life if you want to be successful in your personal development. If you aren’t looking to the future, you become comfortable with your current situation and you will not grow or enjoy the benefits of self-improvement.
8. Begin to create value – we tend to go through life putting very little value on anything. One of my favorite Zig Ziglar quotes is “When you do more than you’re paid for eventually you’ll be paid for more than you do.”. The quality of our harvest depends on the value we put in during our planting. As Jim Rohn said, Rise above the expectations by doing more than you get paid for and you will become more valuable!
9. Be organized – take the time to organize your day so that you aren’t wasting time on activities that have no value and you can spend more time concentrating on what’s important. Did you know that the average American wastes looking for misplaced items approximately 150 hours a year (Approximately 3 work weeks of the year)? If this happens to you for 50 years, you would waste that is almost 3 years wasted looking for misplaced items.
10. Become a highly disciplined –If your desire is to be a high achiever in life, you must become highly disciplined to enjoy success. Most people think success comes from good luck or enormous talent, but many successful people achieve their accomplishments in a simpler way: through self-discipline.